The Humane Society of Greater Dayton – a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization – has been serving the Greater Dayton community since 1902, when a handful of public-spirited Daytonians banded together to launch the
city's first humane society. The purpose of the society was to promote the principles of humane treatment to all creatures. It was off
to a forceful start, thanks to the organizational ability of such leaders as John H. Patterson, Mrs. George Shaw Greene, Grace A. Greene and R.G. Corwin. Since its inception the Humane Society of Greater Dayton's respect for animals has been unconditional – the abused animal's right to medical assistance or, if necessary, a dignified, humane death.
The Humane Society of Greater Dayton has grown and flourished. We are the oldest, most established animal-advocate center in the area. We now serve a population of over 574,000 in a 462-square-mile area. Our services include:
The Humane Society of Greater Dayton held a pet parade in 1924, to celebrate the opening of a new animal shelter. The 1924 facility was in operation until the '50s, when the building pictured above was erected on Danner Avenue. In 1994, the Caryl D. Philips Animal Care Center was constructed. This new facility was totally funded through grants and gifts from individuals, businesses and corporations. The facility greatly improved Humane Society of Greater Dayton operations, by providing optimum animal care. At full capacity we can house 160 cats and 36 dogs. The building includes: