Leave a Legacy
You have the power to make a huge impact with one simple gift. Thank you for your interest in including the Humane Society of Greater Dayton into your estate planning. This generous contribution can impact the lives of so many animals now and into the future. By being proactive in your estate planning, you are also providing peace of mind to your family with a clear path forward not only financially but also regarding the care of your own pets.
Why Support the Humane Society of Greater Dayton?
When you support the Humane Society of Greater Dayton, you are supporting a no-kill animal welfare agency that has been supporting animals since 1902. We are the only shelter in the Miami Valley that is helping all types of animals, too. From cats and dogs to rabbits, horses, birds, farm animals, exotics, and more, we ensure all animals are valued and free from suffering.
Legal Name: Humane Society of Greater Dayton
Address: 1661 Nicholas Road, Dayton, OH 45417
Federal Tax ID Number: 31-0537073
Ways to Leave Your Legacy
Plan Your Will Online - It's Easy and Free!
We’ve partnered with FreeWill to share a free, online tool to support your estate planning. Using this resource, you can easily create a will to protect the people and pets you love, and can include the necessary language to make a lasting legacy with the Humane Society of Greater Dayton.
Wills & Bequests
One of the easiest ways to make a planned gift to the Humane Society of Greater Dayton is to make a bequest within your will. If you already have a will in place, you simply need to speak to your lawyer to include the Humane Society of Greater Dayton.
By giving this way, you are able to lower your federal estate taxes because your assets that are donated to the Humane Society of Greater Dayton are deducted prior to your estate tax being calculated.
You never want to worry about what will happen to your pets once you are gone. Although it is ideal for a close family member or friend to care for your pet, it is sometimes not a realistic request. This is why many people choose to entrust their pet’s care with the Humane Society of Greater Dayton. You can have peace of mind knowing that your pet will receive top-notch care until we can locate a loving family to care for them.
Through our Pet Bequest option, pet owners can bequeath their pets to the Humane Society of Greater Dayton when they include the Humane Society of Greater Dayton within their will or bequest. This ensures that your pets will be cared for after you are gone and will be placed into a loving forever home where they can continue to feel the unconditional love that they received from you.
Charitable Gift Annuity
A charitable gift annuity (CGA) can give you a guaranteed income by providing you with a lifetime of payments through better yield on fixed income assets such as bonds and CDs.
Your CGA will involve a contract between you and the Humane Society of Greater Dayton where you agree to make a gift to our organization and we in return agree to pay you (or someone else you designate) a fixed amount every year for the rest of your life.
Adding the Humane Society of Greater Dayton to your life insurance policy is an easy way to support the animals for years to come. There are many ways to donate your life insurance to the Humane Society of Greater Dayton including:
- Naming the Humane Society of Greater Dayton as beneficiary of your policy. You simply just need to update your beneficiary designation form with your policy holder to add our organization to your policy. You can designate our shelter as the primary beneficiary or specify a certain percentage or amount that you would like to give to the shelter.
- Make an outright gift of any existing policy to the Humane Society of Greater Dayton. You can name us as owner or beneficiary and can qualify for federal income tax deductions when you itemize your taxes.
- Make an outright gift of a new policy to the Humane Society of Greater Dayton. By creating a new policy, you can name our organization as the owner and beneficiary. Whether you choose to make a single premium payment or pay annually, every payment you make is tax deductible as a charitable gift as long as you itemize your taxes.
One of the most common ways to support the animals at the Humane Society of Greater Dayton is through the gift of cash. There are two ways you can do this.
- An outright gift to the Humane Society of Greater Dayton helps our organization immediately impact the animals in our community. By making a donation via cash, check or credit card, you are directly impacting our mission at the current moment. You will also receive a charitable deduction to your federal income taxes for your donations.
- Create a payable on death (POD) account. A POD bank account allows you to name a person or charity as the beneficiary of the funds in the account once the primary account owner passes away. The account owner retains all rights to the funds and is freely able to use them during their lifetime and the beneficiary cannot use them until after the owner passes.
Charitable Remainder Trust
Do you want to have a reliable payment structure while still planning to give to the Humane Society of Greater Dayton? You may want to consider a Charitable Remainder Trust.
Through this type of trust, you or other individuals you name, receive income every year for life or for a period of years from assets you give to the trust that you create. At the end of the trust term, the principal or “remainder interest” within the trust is given to the Humane Society of Greater Dayton.
Did you know that your retirement fund can be taxed up to 75% when you pass it on to your heirs, but it is tax-free when passed on to a charity?
Retirement plans are a very effective way to give to the our organization. When you name the Humane Society of Greater Dayton as your beneficiary to your IRA, 401k, 403b, pension or other qualified retirement plan, you are ensuring that 100% of the value of your account benefits the animals within our care.